Monday, November 11, 2013

Painting Vintage Mirrors


I have a passion for vintage mirrors, whether big or small...I love them all.   Framed mirrors, unframed mirrors, chippy framed mirrors.  My friends often ask me, "What are you going to do with that mirror?".  Well, there is a use for everything, especially old mirrors.  In my garden, I have a multiple selection of eclectic, vibrant painted framed mirrors.  There is a wide variety of vintage items displayed in my yard...from vintage window frames to framed mirrors.
Gorgeous Gothic mirror

Scrounge Hound to the rescue.  I have quite the collection of vintage mirrors that are displayed in my garden and have all been rescued curbside.  Oftentimes, my friends will pick things up along the curb and bring them to me.  My friends know that I will lovingly use these discarded items.  Remember, appropriate scale is everything.  So, if you have a small yard, I would not suggest using a large mirror as a focal point.  In this case, a small yard yields a smaller sized mirror.


Retro chic mirror
I am able to use larger scale items in my garden.  So, here are a few samples of my yard.  Remember, that I live in Chicago, so I am lucky if my framed mirrors last a few seasons due to the harsh weather.   Sanding, priming, painting helps extend the life of my outdoor items, though I do not make my items "perfect".  





I use bold, eclectic paint colors.  The bolder colors draw attention to them and also create a soothing focal point in the middle of a dreary Chicago winter.

So, when you notice an old mirror sitting curbside, remember what Scrounge Hound says, "There's a use for everything".  

Vintage chippy frame displayed in my yard.
That's it for now.  Keep your eyes open, you will be surprised at what you may find curbside.  I would love to hear about your "saved" treasures.  

Framed,
Scrounge Hound

No comments:

Post a Comment

Repurposed Furniture

Rescued Furniture for Yard Decor Did you ever pass by a curbside item that you just cannot resist?  Well, those who know me often wonder....